Wednesday 2 March 2016

Playstation emulation: pcsx-rearmed

When I started this project, I was far from imagining that I could even try to emulate the Playstation. But I gave a try at pcsx-rearmed, and I was astonished! Even without hardware acceleration, lots of games actually work quite smoothly!

The original code is available here: https://github.com/notaz/pcsx_rearmed

I have modified it for my usage, but my version may not be up to date. My patches are:

  • Modification of the configure script to enable the right options for the BeagleBone Black platform with SDL
  • Made the base save/configuration path absolute (and hard-coded) rather than relative. I want the path to stay the same even when starting the application from a service (my launcher)
  • Removed the menu when setting the NO_MENU environment variable: the only menu I want is that of my launcher
  • Removed a few "if"s that were never used in my case (show fps etc.). That's a pathology some developers like me get when getting in other people's codes - they tend to leave their marks for the sake of "optimization" or any other stupid reason :-)
  • Modification of the internal libpicofe, so that the environment variable PCSX_WIDTH, when set, allows forcing a size for the display. Some games do not run smoothly full-screen, so I decided to be able to reduce their size rather than ditch them.
The source code for my fork is available here: https://github.com/alban-rochel/pixbox-pcsx-rearmed

To compile:
 ./configure  
 make  

And to run, for example:

 PCSX_WIDTH=600 NO_MENU=1 /media/BBB/sources/pcsx_rearmed/pcsx -cdfile /media/BBB/roms/psx/MyGame.cue  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You there, this is really good post here. Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable information. Quality content is what always gets the visitors coming. try ds4windows

    ReplyDelete