Tuesday 1 March 2016

NeoGeo emulation: gngeo

I have very little to say about this emulator: it runs almost out-of-the-box on the BeagleBone Black. I use version 0.7 (unmodified), which you can get here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gngeo.berlios/files/.

Make sure the following environment variables are set, and gcc/g++ are the 4.9.1 versions (not sure this is very important in practice):
 CC = gcc  
 CXX = g++  
 AS = as  
 CFLAGS += -O3 -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv3-d16   
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/media/BBB/lib  
/media/BBB/lib is the path where the SDL libraries have been installed. And then, just compile, in the classical Linux way:
 ./configure --prefix=/media/BBB/ --program-suffix=-0.7 --disable-gui
make  
make install

The only quirk with this library is that it sometimes fails at loading roms, as the romset names may not match what you have. I have edited my romset definitions to match those of the games I have. I made it public on my github repository, in case this can help: https://github.com/alban-rochel/pixbox-gngeo-romset-definitions Not all games are covered, but this may help you discover Metal Slug, which is the essential part of any emulation system!

To start the emulator, here is the command line I use, which allows me to set the path to the roms, the path to my romset definitions, the scaling (3x, full height on a 720p display), and the key mapping:
 gngeo-0.7 --p1key=97,115,100,113,49,53,273,274,276,275 --p2key=102,103,104,98,50,116,105,107,106,108 --scale=3 --romrcdir=/media/BBB/sources/gngeo-0.7/romrc.d/ --rompath=/media/BBB/roms/neogeo/   

No comments:

Post a Comment